Leaders in well-evidenced high impact equine-assisted interventions. Having proven our work in prisons, we have established a busy community-based HQ in Weymouth, Dorset, UK. Employing 5 facilitators and 14 horses, we work with young people from 8yrs old, families and adults. In Dorset we help at least 500 extremely troubled people each year, we do not charge the participants.
We train and assess others to replicate our programmes and we work hard to support them in setting up their own centres around the UK, with funding being the greatest hurdle. Independent centres running our programmes in Gloucester, Barnet (North London), Wiltshire and Surrey are becoming increasingly busy and more are opening. We monitor their impact data to ensure their results are as impressive as our own, and provide ongoing support and training.
Participants are by referral only, from Schools & PRUs, Social Services, NHS Mental Health Services, Troubled Families, Offender Services and other specialist agencies.
Our participants have serious problems – typically more than four from the list below. And they are referred because they are ‘stuck’ or disengaged from talk-based support. We teach, rehearse and repeat key resilience skills in an intensive and challenging, but fun, 5 day programme with feedback in-the-moment from specially trained horses and 1-to-1 facilitator support.
- anxiety diagnosis
- not attending school (training, work)
- relationship difficulties
- mood swings/impulsivity
- highly disengaged
- self harming
- bullying, aggression, anger management issues
- being bullied
- risk taking behaviour
- drug & alcohol misuse
- eating disorder
- domestic violence
- neglect / abuse
- poor parenting
- parents with mental health problems, offending or D&A
- living in care, leaving care or t risk of going into care
- from area of high deprivation
- wounded in service
Lighter Touch options
In addition to the intensive ReStart we offer Lighter Touch options such as top ups, tailored sessions and group work - different ways to help people at a lower level of need or to provide longer term support after a ReStart course.
We offer frontline professionals and the public - a 2 hour training in our specialism - reading and responding to non-verbal behaviour. A game-changer with difficult emotions or behaviours.
OutcomesWe are held up as an exemplar in our approach to evidencing the outcomes of our work (see evidence).
A report published by NPC & CLINKS and peer reviewed by CSAAP (the academic panel at the Ministry of Justice) showed a 27 % point reduction in reoffending (where 10% is large).
A study by Bournemouth University is tracking the outcomes for our young people post-course at 2 months and 12 months and results show that 80%+:
- are less anxious (with 33% average improvement)
- have reduced problem behaviours,
- improved attendance/engagement at school
- better relationships
- increased self belief
- Create England/Wellcome Trust/NHS Hackathon 2019
- Royal College of Psychiarty Annual General Conference (2 prizes) 2018
- FSI Small Charity BIG Impact, Regional Section Winner 2017
- Dorset County Council Innovation Award 2016
- School for Social Entrepreneurs Fellowship 2016
- BIG Lottery Peoples Project 2016
- Shortlisted for the Guardian Small Charity Awards 2015
- Winston Churchill Memorial Trust Fellowship 2013
- Shackleton Award 2011